An outdoor Z-Wave flood projector with and day / night and motion detection that is build using the Z-Uno Module from Z-Wave.Me.
Why building that?
I decided to build such a projector because I did not find a commercial solution meeting my needs.
Here are the needs and choices:
- Robust for outdoor: most of the Z-Wave equipments are not rated for outdoor usage. For the one I found, they match only IP20 level instead of IP44 (which is the case with all projectors we find in DIY stores).
- Day / night detection: existing Z-Wave PIR solutions I tested don’t have day/night condition or if having, I feel that integration with the PIR detection is not usable. For instance, the FGMS-001 is constantly sensing light, which means that if we use the day / night level in the same equipment than the projector, when a motion is detected at night, the lamp will switch on, and the luminosity sensor will report that it is the day.
- Raw motion detection report: despite the fact that I want to control the lamp upon motion only during the night, I would like to have the motion detection reported over Z-Wave 24/24, not only at night.
After some search, I was considering the Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor FGBS-001 as a good option to build the projector I wanted.
Then, I stumbled upon the Z-Uno, and immediately found it was far more appropriate.
So, now that I have a module that is fully programmable at my will, I started writing the following specifications:
- Re-use of an existing flood projector is mandatory. Those projectors are designed to operate outdoor, meaning waterproof / IP44, accepting a wide range of temperature, protected against dust, solar exposition will not degrade their plastic (including the Fresnel lens that could degrade quickly for indoor products).
- Provide several Z-Waves Sensors unit in the Z-Wave Home Automation Controller.
- One Motion Detection that is active only during night to control other lamps in the house synchronously with the main projector.
- One “raw” Motion Detection that is always active to control miscellaneous things such a chime announcing someone is coming.
- One day / night detection for various usages.
- Provide a Switch Command that enable to control the projector lamp from the Z-Wave network.
- Supporting Z-Wave associations:
- Projector must be able to control other Z-Waves devices when motion is detected. Furthermore, there should be two groups available: one for the night only detection, and one for the 24/24 detection.
- It should be possible to control the projector lamp through associations.