This is always a difficult part for me to properly finalize a project into a nice usable device in the real life. Especially here where the environmental aspect is really important: this device has to be ruggedized to be used outdoor.
To start with this task, I’ve been lucky to find quickly an appropriate case which is IP65 grade with the right dimension and fixing brackets that allow to mount it just beside the projector on the wall.
All components are assembled on a prototype board. The pictures bellow show the result before closing the case. We can see in addition to the Z-Uno the mains AC/DC converter (220 / 24 V), the 24/3.3 V DC/DC converter and various components. Cardboard is there to provide mains insulation.
Next pictures show the board inserted into the case, ready to be closed, and we can see the cable glands that will be used to ensure a sealed wire path.
In the future, I envision to use a reed switch to control the Z-Uno reset pin with a magnet in a “waterproof way” through the plastic box (but I don’t have such a thing in my drawers).
Another enhancement could be to implement a hardware watchdog in case of. However, I did not notice any hangs during all my experimentation, and as a last resort, it is always possible to switch power off and on at the switchboard in some rare occasions.
Projector final re-assembly
After final fine tuning and cabling between projector and Z-Uno, here is what it looks like just before closing everything:
Before the final mounting on the wall, I decided to fix all that stuff on a board to check that everything was OK on a mechanical standpoint. Here is the result: